Tom's Trailer Talk - Quick Tips
"QUICK TIP" ARTICLES ARE ABREVIATED CLIPS OF VALUABLE INFORMATION ABOUT HORSE TRAILER SAFETY WITH THE INTENTION OF KEEPING YOU AND YOUR HORSES SAFE WHEN TRAILERING. EXPANDED INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE BY CLICKING ON LINKS THROUGHOUT THE ARTICLES.
Tom Scheve is co-owner of EquiSpirit Trailer Co. He and his wife, Neva have written the nationally acclaimed horse trailer text book, "The Complete Guide To Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer," is endorsed by National Horse organizations across the country and has written numerous safety articles in national horse magazines. He has dedicated his professional careers to horse trailer safety. You can reachTom by email or by calling toll free 1-877-575-1771.
- QT-1 TIRES - Your horses' well-being is riding on your tires.
- QT-2 COUPLERS - Couplers are the lifeline between your tow vehicle and trailer.
- QT-3 TRAILER SIZE - If your horses don’t fit correctly in your trailer, they are at risk of injury and illness.
- QT-4 SUSPENSION - You probably don't know how your trailer suspension works. It's okay. No reason you should. You just need to grasp how it affects your safety.
- QT-5 BUMPER PULL HITCHES - Frame mounted hitches have weight ratings. Tow vehicles have towing capacities. They are not related. Not identifying hitch ratings may cause your hitch to fail.
- QT-6 SAFE TOW VEHICLES - Towing with an inadequate tow vehicle will endanger you, your horses, and others out on the road.
- QT-7 TRAILER TERMS YOU SHOULD KNOW - Have you been confused about trailer weights and capacities? Knowing these terms is imperative when choosing a safe trailer and tow vehicle.
- QT-8 BUMPER PULL VS GOOSENECK - Two horse bumper pulls and two horse gooseneck trailers are equally safe when hitched properly. Both have advantages and disadvantages. For more than 2 horses, always choose a gooseneck.
- QT-9 HORSE TRAILER FLOORING - Many horse owners' greatest fear is a horse falling through the trailer floor. Be aware; It is possible. Here is what you need to know.
- QT-10 HITCHING UP BUMPER PULLS - Check, and re-check when hitching up. Small, missed details can cause large, serious accidents. Here is what you need to know.
- QT-11 TOWING WITH CRUISE CONTROL - Is towing a horse trailer with cruise control safe? Not always. Here’s what you need to know.
- QT-12 COMMON QUESTIONS - These are the questions we get asked most often. Here is what you need to know.
- QT-13 EXIT PLANS - Today’s drivers are distracted by cell phones, iPads, and GPS touch screens which has dramatically increased rear-end collisions. Horses enter and exit at the rear of most trailers making additional protection and exits a necessity, and may save your horses’ lives. Here is what you need to know.